Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving 1967

I remember the walks with Grandpa Wood collecting Popsicle sticks, soda bottles and colored leaves. We made a sailboat out of the sticks, turned in the bottles for three cents a pop and pressed the leaves in books.

This walk was to be the last walk together since we were moving out of state. I wanted something to remember this walk by. Autumn was a season away so we collected two maple leaves from Grandpa's front yard and place them in my book He told me that he wanted to see the leaves each time he came to visit. I told him I wanted to see the Popsicle boat we made together as well. I never got to see that boat. The week of Thanksgiving 1967 Grandpa passed away and Grandma threw the boat away.

It took a while for me to get over the lost of this special man. Thanksgiving brings mixed emotions for me. But the memories of Grandpa brings joy into my heart. His unconditional love and enjoyment of the simple things like spending the time playing with his grandchildren helps me to appreciate my time with my grandchildren. I now take those same walk with my grandson collecting leaves and creating memories for him. When my granddaughters come to visit I get down on the floor and create pieces of art with paper and crayons.

I can only hope that when they grow up and become grandparents that they remember the time with me and pass on the memories to their grandchildren.

My prayer is that all grandparents realize the role they play in the lives of their grandchildren and bring many blessing to them. I also hope that my Grandpa is looking down from heaven and is proud of the grandma I have become.


© 2010 Dawn M Sexton

No comments:

Post a Comment