Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Symbol of Maryland

They are here. The symbol of Maryland since 1973, the checkerspot butterfly. I have been following the progress of these beautiful checkerspots for the past several weeks.

Ever since I came across the enclosed cage with the sign telling about the restoration of the checkerspots last year I had my mind set on getting pictures this year.

The white turtlehead is the only host plant that the butterfly will use. It lays its eggs underneath the leaves and the caterpillar use the leaves as nourishment. Throughout the complex there are several fenced in areas with the turtleheads growing.

The butterflies in this pictures insures me that the restoration program is working. There were two pairs procreating among the tall grass and many others looking for their mate.

The last step for me is to get pictures of the eggs hopefully next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment