Wednesday, April 11, 2018

Eagle Photo Bomb


A couple of weeks ago, my good friend Sally invited me to go on a trip to the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. I have been wanting to visit this place for some time now. With all the pictures posted on the MD Birding site on Facebook, I had to go and see all these great birds.


The first short tour was the eagle prowl bus tour. Here we drove around checking out the different nests where you could see nesting pairs of eagles. Very cool.


We got to watched the Nutria hunting dogs do their thing finding evidents of these invasive rodents. Interesting lesson.


But the most exciting thing I wanted to see was the flock of snow geese. So when we went on the second bus nature tour, it was a blessing to come across hundred of geese swimming with the tundra swans. With in second they were off flying.


Earlier the tour guide had mention how the eagle will fly in and go after the weakest goose. And sure enough there among the swarm of white fowls flew in a big black and white bird. It was an eagle photo bomb. He did manage to knock one goose down, but was unable to capture it to my relief.

We were able to see many other birds outside as well as inside. My favorite one was the one outside that both Sally and I got to get our picture with.


There is so much to see there. The numbers of birds we saw that day was just the tip of the iceberg. I can not wait to go again and spend all day there.


1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful way to celebrate the coming of spring!

    ReplyDelete