Friday, April 20, 2018

Who's Bottom Is Out?


Each time that I go by this one tree at the Mariner, I look for the squirrel to pop out of the hole in the tree. This time I notice something unusual sticking out from the hole. Whatever it was, its bottom was out.

I have seem that bottom before. But, I could not place it. This bird was as big as a squirrel. So, I knew it was not a sparrow or one of the other small birds that flies around. Who's bottom is out?

There was some movement around the tail. It looked like the head of a baby bird. So, I did something unusual myself. To try and get a better view, I climbed up on the rail of the pier over the water. I am afraid of height and I am afraid of water. Yet, I kept snapping away hoping that I was getting good shots of the baby.


It was not until I viewed the pictures, that I notice it was just a feather sticking out.

After about ten minutes, there was more movement. The bird was turning around. I was finally going to see who's bottom was sticking out of the hole in the tree. As the head appeared, it became clear. It was a mallard.


For more years than I could count, I have been hoping to come across a mallard's nest. Finally, my wish has come true. I will be visiting this nest everyday. My next wish is to see the babies jump out and make it to the water. Time will tell.

1 comment: