Sunday, May 24, 2015

Butterfly Walk

Today I went to Harford Glen to look for butterflies. I guess you can call it my butterfly walk. I checked on the Baltimore Checker Butterfly. Right now they are in the caterpillar stage. Except for one. It is in his cocoon already. Only yesterday he was just in the beginning stage of encasing himself in the cocoon.

Several others were busy eating off of their host plant, a white turtlehead. You will find many around the Glen in enclosed areas. The hope is to increase the populations of these beautiful small state butterflies.

Last year around June, there were quite a few butterflies flying around. I was fortunate enough to get several pictures. The one thing I am still after, is the egg stage. Maybe this summer.

Until than, I wait in anticipation for the return of the Baltimore checkered butterflies.


No comments:

Post a Comment