Saturday, June 29, 2019

West Virginia's Woodpecker


I can not count how many years I have been trying to get a picture of the red-headed woodpecker. I travel all over, but all I got was a glimpse. These past few weeks, my husband and I have visited three states; North Caroline, Illinois and West Virginia.

Most of this trip was tracing our roots, visiting family and if at all possible getting some good pictures of nature. West Virginia was our last stop. While checking out the family grave sites, just up the road a bird caught our eyes. My husband pulled off the road. There flying from the ground up to the post was the prettiest red-headed woodpecker I have seen.

It does pay to have my camera ready. I rolled down my window and fired off several shots. He just poised for me. He seems to know that I really wanted this picture.

I will still continue to look for the red-headed woodpecker in my home state. Until one shows up, I will be ever thankful for this West Virginia's woodpecker.

No comments:

Post a Comment