Saturday, May 12, 2012

Mother Goose Battles Osprey

 One of the neatest thing that I ever got to witness was a battle between a goose and an osprey. In this first picture a  mother goose and her family are just swimming along minding their own business. They had not a care in the world but to enjoy a beautiful sunny day.
 But this osprey had other plans for the unexpected  geese. You see she had been searching the water all morning for a meal with no luck. So when she spotted the family I guess she though the baby geese would make a nice meal. She took flight and started to circle around her attended target. After several circles she dived towards the geese.
To my surprise the goose flew to meet the osprey in mid air and chase the osprey off. This went on for about fifteen minutes. Each time the osprey would circle the family and dive the mother goose would meet it in the air. I didn't take a lot of pictures because I had my video camera with me. So I did manage to tape the drama. The whole time I was videoing I kept praying that the osprey would not succeed in catching one of the babies.
Well you will be glad to hear that she did not. She grew tire of the chase and flew away. The mother goose landed back in the water and called her babies to her side.
This goose wins my mother of year vote.

No comments:

Post a Comment