Sunday, June 14, 2015

Baltimore Butterfly

They are here. Today I spotted two Baltimore Checker-spotted Butterflies. I have been waiting for a month for them to emerge from their cocoons. There is still one that I have kept my eye on that is still intact. I had hope to catch them as they made their way out. But I would have to camp out at Harford Glen to get to see that.

These butterflies has captured my interest only because of the work that it is taking to build up the populations. While they are not on the endanger list, they are few in numbers and are on the watch list.

It is good to see the effort here is helping to change the tide of the butterfly. For such a tiny thing, they demand a lot of care and attention.

I think I will get in touch with the office of Harford Glen and see if they will let me come everyday until the last cocoon opens. Right now they are open to the public only on the weekends. Until than I will stop by every weekends and get what pictures I can get.


No comments:

Post a Comment