Friday, February 1, 2019

Flicker Flight


I always drive by the marsh in hope of seeing something new. Of course, checking on the swans is part of my reason for stopping there. The marsh consist of really three parts. Two parts are accessible  on route 40 divided by the by-pass to route 24.  The third and bigger part is along route 24.

A couple of days ago, as I drove past it, I noticed several birds flying from tree to tree. I recognized the flight pattern and the red heart shape on the back of the head. It was a family of flickers. There was two young ones and two adults.

The adults seemed to be teaching the young ones about flight and finding their food in the trees. As the adults took flight, the babies kept their sight on them. I also kept my eyes on them as well. It was fun watching the interaction of this family.

The flight of the flicker is unique. I could watch them all day.

No comments:

Post a Comment