Saturday, February 8, 2020

Baltimore Butterfly


This is one butterfly that I do not think I will get to see anymore. At least, not at the park where I took this picture. It is known as the Baltimore checkerspot. For years the park ran a program to slow down the decline of this now endangered species.

The past two year, I did not see any. This was sad. I had hoped that the program would have worked. The Baltimore checkerspot is the state official insect. We should not give up on them.


I did manage to get the cycle in pictures. I know what plants they like, the white turtle head. I even got them mating. With the help of one of the women who was keeping tabs on the butterflies, I got pictures of the eggs.

I can only hope that somewhere else, there are other parks or people working hard to revive this tiny little insect. In the meantime, I will keep searching for the Baltimore checkerspot.


No comments:

Post a Comment