Sunday, July 31, 2016

Heron Invasion


It is a heron invasion. For the past several days as I visit the marsh in my home town, I have been spotting herons of many kinds. These two small heron caught my eye. I had never seen these guys before.

There were at least five in all competing for food. I first thought they were baby egrets, since there were several egrets within feet of these guy. Along with the egrets were a couple of great blue heron as well. I had also spotted a green heron the day before.

It was the size of these guys that had me wondering what kind of heron they were. I ended up looking through the many birds book I have laying around my room to discover that they must be baby little blue herons. Well, this was a first for me.

I spotted them yesterday on my way to work and was almost late because I did not want to leave. As I past there again today, they were still there along with at least seven egrets, the great blue heron and of course my family of swans. Just as I was ready to take off, I scared up the green heron as well.

The heron invasion was complete. I hope they stick around for a while longer. Here are some other pictures to view for your pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment