Monday, November 19, 2012

Thanksgiving's Week

Today for this week I will bring share memories of past Thanksgivings. One of the most exciting Thanksgiving I had is when I spent over twenty-four hours cooking and backing. I was expecting many of the neighborhood teenagers to stop by to eat.  The oven ran nonstop backing pies, cookies and breads. After they were put aside I put the ham and turkey on in the early morning.
Each hour I would pull the turkey out to base it. What I did not know was that the throw away pan that I was using for the turkey had a small hole on the bottom. So the juices was slowly dripping to the bottom of the oven.
I put the potatoes on to boil, had the turkey giblets boiling to make homemade gravy and had  my vegetable cooking. This dinner was going great.
One last time I pulled the turkey out to base and the friction of the pan rubbing against the oven set it ablaze. The whole oven was engulfed in flames.
The quick reaction of my husband got the fire under control. Since everything that was cooking were covered in foil and lids we did not lose any of the food.
So we had our feast, cleaned the mess and thanked God for the bountiful blessing of the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment