Sunday, August 18, 2013

Two Ducks


What do these two ducks have in common?  Well, for one they were spotted at the same pond. There are both wood ducks.

The top one is a male duck. The bottom I was not sure what it was. The markings on the head looked male. But the color of the body was female.

At first I thought it might be a mixed breed of a mallard and a wood duck. The male on the top picture was courting a female mallard. So I researched it on the internet.

Well, it turned out that the male wood duck loses its color out of mating season. The two ducks are actually the same male duck. I am just catching him at different times of his life.

It was once said that a leopard can't change his spot. But a duck can change his color. I can't wait until mating season comes again. I love the colors of the wood duck at this time. Until than I will enjoy getting to know this little fellow a little more. He is just too darn cute.

No comments:

Post a Comment