Sunday, March 22, 2020

Hover Hunting


Another day of driving around checking out my favorite spots. It started off slow. Than my husband, with his eagle's eyes, spotted something high up in a tree some distant away. This bird was too far away for me to make an identification. It was not until it took off from the tree and began to hover over the ground hunting, that I can see that it was an American Kestrel.


Watching him hover over and over again was a cool thing to see. The fields at the industrial ponds has proven to be a good place to spend time around. The past several week, I have watched a Northern Harrier, a Red-shouldered Hawk, a Cooper Hawk and a Red-tailed Hawk all seek their next meal over these same fields.

These fields must have a plethora of creatures. The hawks are drawn here with the hope of getting just a piece of the bounty.

I was glad that I got to watch the American Kestrel do his hover hunting. I will be back again and again. Who knows what I will catch next the next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment