Saturday, March 14, 2020

Teal One, Wilson None


Today, my husband and I decided to visit Swan Harbor Farm. As we made our way to one our walking trail, Don got to talking to a couple of other people who were there. They told him about spotting a Wilson snipe near another marshy area.

This was a place that we had not taken the time to check out before. So, off we went in search of the snipe. The marsh was full of life. The frogs, sparrows and other birds were making their presence known. You could hardly hear your own voice over the sounds.

We tried to find the snipe. We listened, looked and did not find any signs of this small bird. There were Canada geese, one great blue heron and several mallards in the marsh. In the sky, we could see hawks, buzzards and that one great blue heron.

As we round the back side of the marsh, something caught my eye. I knew it was a duck of some sort. I got my camera focused on the duck and realized that it was a green-winged teal. The blue on his head put me off. I think that it is the trick of the sun.

Right after I got this picture, what should happen? The Wilson snipe ran right out in front of Don. He was only a few feet away. Neither Don or I were able to get a picture. It happened all too fast.

Teal one, Wilson none. All in all, it was an exciting day to go birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment