Sunday, June 10, 2012

Killdeer Surprise

Today Don and I went to see his mother in Greenburo. She lives in an assistant living home. While visiting I notice that there was a pond on the property. Of course you know where I had to go before we left to come home. You guessed it, the pond.
While walking around the pond we notice this bird making a lot of ruckus. When it finally landed and settled down I notice that it was a killdeer. Inch by inch I got closer to it trying to get a good picture. I was surprise that it let me get within a few feet of it, until it flew away again.
To my surprise again I saw why I was able to get so close. The killdeer was protecting her eggs. I took  a couple of shots and left so that she could get back to her eggs.
How I would love to be able to go back each day and see the eggs hatch. But that would not be possible since that would be a four hour round trip each day. I just don't have the time and the gas money.
It was a nice surprise and it made my day to get the shots. I hope I get to have many more opportunities to capture another killdeer surprise.

No comments:

Post a Comment