Thursday, January 2, 2020

Surprise


The birds expect me to leave them a handful of food on the post as I past by them. It becomes a battle ground for the many species. As the red-winged black bird flew in to grab his piece, up popped a red-belled woodpecker. She not only surprised him, she also surprised me.

The red-bellied woodpecker is a year round resident at the park. If I can not see one, I can always hear them. They love peanuts. I can always entice them when I break peanuts in my hand. As I throw the peanuts out to the squirrels, the woodpecker can hear them hitting the ground. Within minutes they are flying in to get their share.



With the peanut in her mouth, she was quick to fly to a nearby tree. It is lways cool to watch her and the other birds enjoy my offer of friendship.

No comments:

Post a Comment